hewer(redirected from hewers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
v. hewed, hewn (hyo͞on) or hewed, hew·ing, hews
1. To make or shape with or as if with an axe: hew a path through the underbrush.
2. To cut down with an axe; fell: hew an oak.
3. To strike or cut; cleave.
1. To cut something by repeated blows, as of an axe.
2. To adhere or conform strictly; hold: hew to the line.
Department of Health, Education, and Welfare
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n (Min) → Hauer m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007