hiatus(redirected from hiatus maxillaris)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to hiatus maxillaris: Semilunar hiatus
n. pl. hi·a·tus·es or hiatus
1. A gap or interruption in space, time, or continuity; a break: "We are likely to be disconcerted by ... hiatuses of thought" (Edmund Wilson).
2. Linguistics A slight pause that occurs when two immediately adjacent vowels in consecutive syllables are pronounced, as in reality and naive.
3. Anatomy A separation, aperture, fissure, or short passage in an organ or body part.
[Latin hiātus, from past participle of hiāre, to gape.]
hi·a′tal (-āt′l) adj.
n, pl -tuses or -tus
1. (esp in manuscripts) a break or gap where something is missing
2. a break or interruption in continuity
3. (Phonetics & Phonology) a break between adjacent vowels in the pronunciation of a word
4. (Anatomy) anatomy a natural opening or aperture; foramen
5. (Anatomy) anatomy a less common word for vulva
[C16: from Latin: gap, cleft, aperture, from hiāre to gape, yawn]
n., pl. -tus•es, -tus.
1. a break or interruption in the continuity of a work, series, action, etc.
2. a missing part; gap or lacuna.
3. any gap or opening.
4. the coming together, with or without a break or slight pause, of two adjacent vowels in different syllables, as in see easily.
5. a natural fissure, cleft, or foramen in a bone or other structure.
[1555–65; < Latin hiātus opening, gap =hiā(re) to gape, open + -tus suffix of v. action]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hiatus - an interruption in the intensity or amount of something|
break, interruption - some abrupt occurrence that interrupts an ongoing activity; "the telephone is an annoying interruption"; "there was a break in the action when a player was hurt"
defervescence - abatement of a fever as indicated by a reduction in body temperature
|2.||hiatus - a missing piece (as a gap in a manuscript)|
piece - an artistic or literary composition; "he wrote an interesting piece on Iran"; "the children acted out a comic piece to amuse the guests"
|3.||hiatus - a natural opening or perforation through a bone or a membranous structure|
foramen of Monro, interventricular foramen, Monro's foramen - the small opening (on both the right and left sides) that connects the third ventricle in the diencephalon with the lateral ventricle in the cerebral hemisphere
foramen magnum - the large opening at the base of the cranium through which the spinal cord passes
n. hiatus, abertura, orificio, fisura.