hickey(redirected from hickeys)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. hick·eys Informal
1. A device or contrivance; a gadget.
a. A reddish mark on the skin caused by amorous kissing, biting, or sucking.
b. A pimple.
3. A pipe-bending apparatus.
4. A threaded electrical fitting used to connect a fixture to an outlet box.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. informal US and Canadian an object or gadget: used as a name when the correct name is forgotten, etc; doodah
2. informal US and Canadian a mark on the skin, esp a lovebite
3. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) printing a spot on a printed sheet caused by an imperfection or a speck on the printing plate
[C20: of unknown origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or hick•ie(ˈhɪk i)
n., pl. -eys or -ies.
a. a pimple.
b. a reddish mark left on the skin by a passionate kiss.
2. any device or gadget whose name is forgotten or not known.
3. a fitting used to mount a lighting fixture in an outlet box or on a pipe or stud.
4. a tool used to bend tubes and pipes.
[1905–10, Amer.; of obscure orig.]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hickey - a small inflamed elevation of the skin; a pustule or papule; common symptom in acne|
acne - an inflammatory disease involving the sebaceous glands of the skin; characterized by papules or pustules or comedones
papule - a small inflamed elevation of skin that is nonsuppurative (as in chicken pox)
pustule - a small inflamed elevation of skin containing pus; a blister filled with pus
|2.||hickey - a temporary red mark on a person's skin resulting from kissing or sucking by their lover|
erythema - abnormal redness of the skin resulting from dilation of blood vessels (as in sunburn or inflammation)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
hickeyn chupetón m, chupón m, marca roja en la piel producida por un beso fuerte
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.