hickory(redirected from hickories)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. hick·o·ries
1. Any of several chiefly North American deciduous trees of the genus Carya, having smooth or shaggy bark, pinnately compound leaves, and hard smooth nuts, each containing an edible seed and surrounded by a husk that splits into four valves.
a. The tough, heavy wood of one of these trees.
b. A walking stick or switch made from such wood.
[Short for Virginia Algonquian pocohiquara, drink made of pressed hickory nuts.]
n, pl -ries
1. (Plants) any juglandaceous tree of the chiefly North American genus Carya, having nuts with edible kernels and hard smooth shells. See also pecan, pignut1, bitternut1, shagbark
2. (Plants) the hard tough wood of any of these trees
3. (Plants) the nut of any of these trees
4. (Clothing & Fashion) a switch or cane made of hickory wood
[C17: from earlier pohickery, from Algonquian pawcohiccora food made from ground hickory nuts]
hick•o•ry(ˈhɪk ə ri, ˈhɪk ri)
n., pl. -ries.
1. any North American tree of the genus Carya, of the walnut family: some bear edible nuts or yield a valuable wood.
2. the wood of any of these trees.
3. a switch or stick of this wood.
[1670–80; earlier pohickery < Virginia Algonquian (E sp.) pocohiquara a milky drink prepared from hickory nuts]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hickory - valuable tough heavy hardwood from various hickory trees|
wood - the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
|2.||hickory - American hardwood tree bearing edible nuts|
hickory - valuable tough heavy hardwood from various hickory trees
bitter pecan, Carya aquatica, water bitternut, water hickory - hickory of southern United States having many narrow leaflets and rather bitter nuts
brown hickory, Carya glabra, pignut, pignut hickory, black hickory - an American hickory tree having bitter nuts
bitter hickory, bitter pignut, bitternut, bitternut hickory, Carya cordiformis, swamp hickory - hickory of the eastern United States having a leaves with 7 or 9 leaflets and thin-shelled very bitter nuts
big shagbark, big shellbark, big shellbark hickory, Carya laciniosa, king nut, king nut hickory - hickory of the eastern United States resembling the shagbark but having a much larger nut
Carya myristicaeformis, Carya myristiciformis, nutmeg hickory - hickory of southern United States and Mexico having hard nutmeg-shaped nuts
Carya ovata, shagbark, shagbark hickory, shellbark, shellbark hickory - North American hickory having loose grey shaggy bark and edible nuts
big-bud hickory, black hickory, Carya tomentosa, mockernut, mockernut hickory, white-heart hickory - smooth-barked North American hickory with 7 to 9 leaflets bearing a hard-shelled edible nut
nut tree - tree bearing edible nuts