Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Intellectually, morally, or socially superior.
2. Fashionable or pretentious: a high-toned restaurant.
1. having a superior social, moral, or intellectual quality
2. affectedly superior
3. high in tone
1. having high principles; dignified.
2. having or aspiring to good taste, high standards, or refinement: a high-toned literary review.
3. affectedly stylish or genteel.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||high-toned - pretentiously elegant; "a high-toned restaurant"|
elegant - refined and tasteful in appearance or behavior or style; "elegant handwriting"; "an elegant dark suit"; "she was elegant to her fingertips"; "small churches with elegant white spires"; "an elegant mathematical solution--simple and precise and lucid"