Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A well-defined natural elevation smaller than a mountain.
2. A small heap, pile, or mound.
a. A mound of earth piled around and over a plant.
b. A plant thus covered.
4. An incline, especially of a road; a slope.
a. Capitol Hill. Often used with the.
b. The US Congress. Often used with the.
tr.v. hilled, hill·ing, hillsIdiom:
1. To form into a hill, pile, or heap.
2. To cover (a plant) with a mound of soil.
over the hill Informal
Past one's prime.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.