shank(redirected from hind shank)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. The part of the human leg between the knee and ankle.
b. A corresponding part in other vertebrates.
a. The whole leg of a human.
b. A leg or leglike part.
3. A cut of meat from the leg of a steer, calf, sheep, or lamb.
4. The long narrow part of a nail or pin.
5. A stem, stalk, or similar part.
6. Nautical The stem of an anchor.
7. The long shaft of a fishhook.
8. The part of a tobacco pipe between the bowl and stem.
9. The shaft of a key.
10. The narrow section of the handle of a spoon.
11. Printing The section of a body of type between the shoulder and the foot.
a. The narrow part of the sole of a shoe under the instep.
b. A piece of material, such as metal, that is used to reinforce or shape this part of a shoe.
13. A projection, such as a ring, on the back of a button by which it is sewn to cloth.
a. See tang1.
b. The part of a tool, such as a drill, that connects the functioning head to the handle.
a. The latter or remaining part, especially of a period of time.
b. The early or primary part of a period of time: the shank of the evening.
16. Slang A knife or other sharp, pointed implement, especially one that has been fashioned from something else; a shiv.
tr.v. shanked, shank·ing, shanks Sports
1. To hit (a golf ball) with the heel of the club, causing the ball to veer in the wrong direction.
2. Slang To stab (a person) with a sharp, pointed implement.
[Middle English shanke, from Old English sceanca.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anatomy) anatomy the shin
2. (Zoology) the corresponding part of the leg in vertebrates other than man
3. (Cookery) a cut of meat from the top part of an animal's shank
4. the main part of a tool, between the working part and the handle
5. the part of a bolt between the thread and the head
6. the cylindrical part of a bit by which it is held in the drill
7. (Clothing & Fashion) the ring or stem on the back of some buttons
8. the stem or long narrow part of a key, anchor, hook, spoon handle, nail, pin, etc
9. (Jewellery) the band of a ring as distinguished from the setting
10. (Clothing & Fashion)
a. the part of a shoe connecting the wide part of the sole with the heel
b. the metal or leather piece used for this
11. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) printing the body of a piece of type, between the shoulder and the foot
12. (Metallurgy) engineering a ladle used for molten metal
13. (Instruments) music another word for crook6
14. (Plant Pathology) (intr) (of fruits, roots, etc) to show disease symptoms, esp discoloration
15. (Golf) (tr) golf to mishit (the ball) with the foot of the shaft rather than the face of the club
[Old English scanca; related to Old Frisian schanke, Middle Low German schenke, Danish, Swedish skank leg]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a. the part of the lower limb in humans between the knee and the ankle.
b. the corresponding part in other vertebrates.
2. the lower limb; the entire leg.
a. a straight, narrow, shaftlike part of various objects usu. connecting two more important or complex parts, as the stem of a tobacco pipe.
b. a knob or projection that allows a device to be attached to another object.
5. Informal. the early part of a period of time.
6. the narrow part of the sole of a shoe, lying beneath the instep.
8. Print. the body of a type, between the shoulder and the foot.
9. the part of a ring that surrounds the finger; hoop.
10. Slang. a dagger fashioned from available materials by a prison inmate.v.t.
11. to mishit (a golf ball) with the club's shaft or heel, causing the ball to veer to the side.
[before 900; Old English sc(e)anca; c. Low German schanke leg, thigh]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
- stummel - A pipe's bowl and shank.
- shank - Each half of a pair of scissors; also the stem of a wine glass.
- shank - Once meant "the remainder, the rest," as in "shank of the evening."
- scare - The shank of a golf club can be called the scare.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: shanked
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shank - a cut of meat (beef or veal or mutton or lamb) from the upper part of the leg|
foreshank - a cut of meat from the upper part of a front leg
hindshank - a cut of meat from the upper part of a rear leg
|2.||shank - the part of the human leg between the knee and the ankle|
body part - any part of an organism such as an organ or extremity
leg - a human limb; commonly used to refer to a whole limb but technically only the part of the limb between the knee and ankle
|3.||shank - cylinder forming a long narrow part of something|
handgrip, handle, grip, hold - the appendage to an object that is designed to be held in order to use or move it; "he grabbed the hammer by the handle"; "it was an old briefcase but it still had a good grip"
key - metal device shaped in such a way that when it is inserted into the appropriate lock the lock's mechanism can be rotated
nail - a thin pointed piece of metal that is hammered into materials as a fastener
pin - a small slender (often pointed) piece of wood or metal used to support or fasten or attach things
wineglass - a glass that has a stem and in which wine is served
|4.||shank - cylinder forming the part of a bolt between the thread and the head|
bolt - a screw that screws into a nut to form a fastener
|5.||shank - cylinder forming the part of a bit by which it is held in the drill|
bit - the cutting part of a drill; usually pointed and threaded and is replaceable in a brace or bitstock or drill press; "he looked around for the right size bit"
|6.||shank - the narrow part of the shoe connecting the heel and the wide part of the sole|
part, portion - something less than the whole of a human artifact; "the rear part of the house"; "glue the two parts together"
sole - the underside of footwear or a golf club
|7.||shank - lower part of the leg extending from the hock to the fetlock in hoofed mammals|
hoofed mammal, ungulate - any of a number of mammals with hooves that are superficially similar but not necessarily closely related taxonomically
cannon bone - greatly developed metatarsal or metacarpal bone in the shank or cannon part of the leg in hoofed mammals
animal leg - the leg of an animal
body part - any part of an organism such as an organ or extremity
|8.||shank - a poor golf stroke in which the heel of the club hits the ball|
|Verb||1.||shank - hit (a golf ball) with the heel of a club, causing the ball to veer in the wrong direction|
golf, golf game - a game played on a large open course with 9 or 18 holes; the object is use as few strokes as possible in playing all the holes
hit - cause to move by striking; "hit a ball"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
shank[ʃæŋk] N (= part of leg) → caña f; (= bird's leg) → zanca f (Bot) → tallo m; (= handle) → mango m shanks → piernas fpl
to go on or by Shanks's pony (hum) → ir en el coche de San Francisco, ir a golpe de calcetín
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
1. the leg, especially the part between the knee and foot. skeen ساق подбедрица canela holeň der Unterschenkel skinneben κνήμηespinilla jalasäär ساق پا kinttu jambeשוק टांग noga od koljena do gležnja, goljenica lábszár kaki fótleggur gamba すね 정강이 blauzda kāja; apakšstilbs betis schenkelbeingoleń لينګۍ، پونډۍ: پښه: دغوايه دورانه دغوښې ټوټه: ميله، توله، ديوه اسباب هغه برخه چې فعاله برخه يې دلاستي سره يو ځاى كوي (لكه دلور اوږده توله canela gambă нога; голень holeň golen potkolenica skenben, skank หน้าแข้ง baldır 脛，腿骨 нога; гомілка ٹانگ xương ống chân 胫，腿骨
2. the long straight part of eg a nail or screw. skag ساق الآلَه، قَصَبَة الصّنارَه، ساق المِسْمار тяло (на болт) haste dřík der Schaft hals το λεπτό στέλεχος π.χ. βίδας tallo vars ميله varsi tigeקנה डण्डा držak szár batang paku teinn, leggur gambo, fusto, asta 柄 몸대 smaigas (naglas u.tml.) kāja batang steel spikerskaft, skrueskaft trzon میله haste tijă стержень telo ravni del (žeblja itd.) drška skaft ส่วนที่แคบยาว çivi gövdesi 物品(如鐵釘或螺絲釘)筆直狹長部份 стрижень; трубка (ключа) کیل وغیرہ کی ڈنڈی thân cột, chuôi dao, tay chèo （工具的）柄、杆
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
n. canilla de la pierna.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012