hippodrome(redirected from hippodromes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Sports An arena for equestrian shows.
2. An open-air stadium with an oval course for horse and chariot races in ancient Greece and Rome.
1. (Theatre) a music hall, variety theatre, or circus
2. (Architecture) (in ancient Greece or Rome) an open-air course for horse and chariot races
[C16: from Latin hippodromos, from Greek hippos horse + dromos a race]
1. an arena or structure for equestrian and other spectacles.
2. (in ancient Greece and Rome) an oval track for horse and chariot races.
Ancient Greece and Rome. an arena for horse races.See also: Horses