Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. A structure for housing domesticated honeybees.
b. A nest built by wild or feral bees.
c. A colony of bees living in such a structure or nest.
2. A place swarming with activity.
v. hived, hiv·ing, hives
1. To collect into a hive.
2. To store (honey) in a hive.
3. To store up; accumulate.
1. To enter and occupy a beehive.
2. To live with many others in close association.
To set apart from a group: hived off the department into another division.
[Middle English, from Old English hȳf.]
1. to transfer or be transferred from a larger group or unit
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (usually tr) to transfer (profitable activities of a nationalized industry) back to private ownership
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||hive off - remove from a group and make separate; "The unit was hived off from its parent company"|
|2.||hive off - withdraw (money) and move into a different location, often secretly and with dishonest intentions|