hoary(redirected from hoariest)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
adj. hoar·i·er, hoar·i·est
1. Gray or white with or as if with age.
2. Covered with grayish hair or pubescence: hoary leaves.
3. So old as to inspire veneration; ancient.
adj, hoarier or hoariest
1. having grey or white hair
2. (Colours) white or whitish-grey in colour
3. ancient or venerable
hoar•y(ˈhɔr i, ˈhoʊr i)
adj. hoar•i•er, hoar•i•est.
1. gray or white with age.
2. ancient or venerable: hoary myths.
3. tedious from familiarity; stale: a hoary joke.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||hoary - showing characteristics of age, especially having grey or white hair; "whose beard with age is hoar"-Coleridge; "nodded his hoary head"|
old - (used especially of persons) having lived for a relatively long time or attained a specific age; "his mother is very old"; "a ripe old age"; "how old are you?"
|2.||hoary - ancient; "hoary jokes"|
old - of long duration; not new; "old tradition"; "old house"; "old wine"; "old country"; "old friendships"; "old money"
|3.||hoary - covered with fine whitish hairs or down|