Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Any of various mammals of the family Suidae, which includes the domesticated pig as well as wild species, such as the wild boar and the warthog.
b. A domesticated pig weighing over 54 kilograms (120 pounds).
a. A self-indulgent, gluttonous, or filthy person.
b. One that uses too much of something.
3. also hogg
a. Chiefly British A young sheep before it has been shorn.
b. The wool from this type of sheep.
4. Slang A big, heavy motorcycle.
v. hogged, hog·ging, hogs
1. Informal To take more than one's share of: Don't hog the couch.
2. To cause (the back) to arch like that of a hog.
3. To cut (a horse's mane) short and bristly.
4. To shred (waste wood, for example) by machine.
Nautical To arch upward in the middle. Used of a ship's keel.
high on/off the hog Slang
In a lavish or extravagant manner: lived high on the hog after getting his inheritance.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.