Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
holy orderalso Holy Order
1. often Holy Orders
a. The sacrament or rite of ordination.
b. The rank of an ordained Christian minister or priest.
2. See major order.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) the sacrament or rite whereby a person is admitted to the Christian ministry
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) the grades of the Christian ministry
3. (Ecclesiastical Terms) the rank or status of an ordained Christian minister
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (used with a sing. v.) the rite of ordination.
2. (used with a sing. v.) the rank or status of an ordained Christian minister.
3. the degrees of the Christian ministry.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.