Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A state of equilibrium, as in an organism or cell, maintained by self-regulating processes: The kidneys maintain homeostasis in the body by regulating the amount of salt and water excreted.
ho′me·o·stat′ic (-stăt′ĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Physiology) the maintenance of metabolic equilibrium within an animal by a tendency to compensate for disrupting changes
2. the maintenance of equilibrium within a social group, person, etc
homeostatic, homoeostatic adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ho•me•o•sta•sis(ˌhoʊ mi əˈsteɪ sɪs)
1. the tendency of a system, esp. the physiological system of higher animals, to maintain internal stability, owing to the coordinated response of its parts to any situation or stimulus tending to disturb its normal condition or function.
2. a state of psychological equilibrium obtained when tension or a drive has been reduced or eliminated.
ho`me•o•stat′ic (-ˈstæt ɪk) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The tendency of an organism or cell to regulate the chemical processes that take place internally so as to maintain health and functioning, regardless of outside conditions. The ability to maintain a steady body temperature is an example of homeostasis.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. Maintenance of a stable internal environment inside an organism.
2. The body’s internal balance, produced by a regulatory system that maintains more or less stable temperature, blood pressure, electrolyte levels, etc.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||homeostasis - (physiology) metabolic equilibrium actively maintained by several complex biological mechanisms that operate via the autonomic nervous system to offset disrupting changes|
physiology - the branch of the biological sciences dealing with the functioning of organisms
equilibrium - a stable situation in which forces cancel one another
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.