Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The state of having stamens and pistils that mature simultaneously.
2. The state of having only one kind of flower on a plant, such as only unisexual flowers.
3. Marriage between people who are similar to each other, especially in their sociocultural backgrounds.
ho′mo·gam′ic (-găm′ĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Botany) a condition in which all the flowers of an inflorescence are either of the same sex or hermaphrodite. Compare heterogamy3
2. (Botany) the maturation of the anthers and stigmas of a flower at the same time, ensuring self-pollination. Compare dichogamy
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014