Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A sweet sticky substance excreted by insects, such as aphids, that feed on plant sap. Honeydew sometimes accumulates on leaves and other plant parts.
2. A honeydew melon.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Zoology) a sugary substance excreted by aphids and similar insects
2. (Botany) a similar substance exuded by certain plants
3. (Plants) short for honeydew melon
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
hon•ey•dew(ˈhʌn iˌdu, -ˌdyu)
2. the sweet material that exudes from the leaves of certain plants in hot weather.
3. a sugary material secreted by aphids, leafhoppers, and other homopterous insects.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||honeydew - the fruit of a variety of winter melon vine; a large smooth greenish-white melon with pale green flesh|
winter melon - the fruit of the winter melon vine; a green melon with pale green to orange flesh that keeps well
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.