Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Deserving or winning honor and respect: led an honorable life.
2. Bringing distinction or recognition: honorable service to one's nation.
3. Possessing and characterized by honor: an honorable person.
4. Consistent with honor or good name: followed the only honorable course of action.
5. Distinguished; illustrious: this honorable gathering of scholars.
6. Attended by marks of recognition and honor: received an honorable burial.
7. Honorable Abbr. Hon.
a. Used as a title of respect for certain high government officials: The Honorable Jane Doe, Associate Justice of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts.
b. Used as a courtesy title for the children of barons and viscounts and the younger sons of earls.
c. Used in the House of Commons as a title of respect when speaking of another member.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||honorableness - the quality of deserving honor or respect; characterized by honor|
righteousness - adhering to moral principles
magnanimousness, nobleness, grandeur, nobility - the quality of elevation of mind and exaltation of character or ideals or conduct
reputability, respectability - honorableness by virtue of being respectable and having a good reputation