Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. hoo·doos
a. Magic healing and control, especially in African-based folk medicine in the United States and the Caribbean. Also called conjure.
b. A practitioner of hoodoo.
a. Bad luck.
b. One that brings bad luck.
4. Geology A column of eccentrically shaped rock, produced by differential weathering.
tr.v. hoo·dooed, hoo·doo·ing, hoo·doos
1. To practice hoodoo on; affect with a charm or curse.
2. To bring bad luck to.
[Of West African origin, possibly from voodoo.]
n, pl -doos
1. (Other Non-Christian Religions) a variant of voodoo
2. informal a person or thing that brings bad luck
3. informal bad luck
4. (Physical Geography) (in the western US and Canada) a strangely shaped column of rock
vb, -doos, -dooing or -dooed
(tr) informal to bring bad luck to
[C19: variant of voodoo]
n., pl. -doos,
2. bad luck.
3. a person or thing that brings bad luck.
4. a pillar of rock, usu. of fantastic shape, left by erosion.v.t.
5. to bring or cause bad luck to.
[1870–75, Amer.; appar. variant of voodoo]
hoodoo- A person who practices voodoo; the word also describes a person or thing whose presence is supposed to bring bad luck.
See also related terms for presence.
Past participle: hoodooed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hoodoo - (geology) a column of weathered and unusually shaped rock; "a tall sandstone hoodoo"|
geology - a science that deals with the history of the earth as recorded in rocks
|2.||hoodoo - a practitioner of voodoo|
hoodooism, vodoun, voodooism, voodoo - a religious cult practiced chiefly in Caribbean countries (especially Haiti); involves witchcraft and animistic deities
|3.||hoodoo - a charm superstitiously believed to embody magical powers|
|4.||hoodoo - something believed to bring bad luck|
|Verb||1.||hoodoo - bring bad luck; be a source of misfortune|
be - have the quality of being; (copula, used with an adjective or a predicate noun); "John is rich"; "This is not a good answer"