Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. An aromatic plant (Marrubium vulgare) in the mint family having leaves with white pubescence and numerous white flowers in axillary cymes, native to Eurasia. The leaves yield a bitter extract used in flavoring and as a cough remedy.
b. A candy or preparation flavored with this extract.
2. Any of several similar plants in the mint family, especially Ballota nigra.
[Middle English, alteration (influenced by hound, hound) of horhune, from Old English hārehūne : hār, hoary + hūne, a kind of plant.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) Also called: white horehound a downy perennial herbaceous Old World plant, Marrubium vulgare, with small white flowers that contain a bitter juice formerly used as a cough medicine and flavouring: family Lamiaceae (labiates). See also black horehound
2. (Plants) water horehound another name for bugleweed1
[Old English hārhūne, from hār grey + hūne horehound, of obscure origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an Old World plant, Marrubium vulgare, of the mint family, having downy leaves and containing a bitter juice used as an expectorant.
2. any of various plants of the mint family.
3. a lozenge flavored with horehound extract.
[before 1000; Middle English horehune, Old English hārhūne=hār gray, hoar + hūne horehound]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||horehound - any of various aromatic herbs of the genus Marrubium|
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
|2.||horehound - a candy that is flavored with an extract of the horehound plant|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.