hornbook(redirected from hornbooks)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to hornbooks: Hornbook law
1. An early primer consisting of a single page protected by a transparent sheet of horn, formerly used in teaching children to read.
2. A text that instructs in the basic skills or rudiments of a subject.
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a page bearing a religious text or the alphabet, held in a frame with a thin window of flattened cattle horn over it
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) any elementary primer
1. a leaf or page containing the alphabet, religious materials, etc., covered with a sheet of transparent horn and fixed in a frame with a handle, formerly used in teaching children to read.
2. a primer or book of rudiments.