Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to horse chestnut: horse chestnut tree
1. Any of several trees of the genus Aesculus, especially the European species A. hippocastanum, having opposite, palmately compound leaves, erect clusters of white flowers tinged with red or yellow, and spiny or smooth capsules containing large shiny brown seeds.
2. The seed of any of these plants.
[Perhaps from a former use to cure cough in horses.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of several trees of the genus Aesculus, esp the Eurasian A. hippocastanum, having palmate leaves, erect clusters of white, pink, or red flowers, and brown shiny inedible nuts enclosed in a spiky bur: family Hippocastanaceae
2. (Plants) Also called: conker the nut of this tree
[C16: so called from its having been used in the treatment of respiratory disease in horses]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any shrub or tree of the genus Aesculus, esp. A. hippocastanum, with large compound leaves and upright clusters of white flowers.
2. the shiny brown nutlike seed of trees of the genus Aesculus.
[1590–1600; translation of New Latin castanea equīna; so named from its use in treating respiratory diseases of horses]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||horse chestnut - tree having palmate leaves and large clusters of white to red flowers followed by brown shiny inedible seeds|
Aesculus, genus Aesculus - deciduous trees or some shrubs of North America; southeastern Europe; eastern Asia
sweet buckeye - a tall and often cultivated buckeye of the central United States
Ohio buckeye - a buckeye with scaly grey bark that is found in the central United States
bottlebrush buckeye, dwarf buckeye - a spreading shrub with pink flowers; found in southeastern United States
red buckeye - a shrub buckeye of southern United States
particolored buckeye - a buckeye marked by different colors or tints
|2.||horse chestnut - the inedible nutlike seed of the horse chestnut|
seed - a small hard fruit
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.