Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A film or other theatrical work about the American West; a western.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Film) informal another term for Western4
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. lying toward or situated in the west.
2. directed or proceeding toward the west: a western migration.
3. coming or originating from the west, as a wind.
4. (often cap.) of or pertaining to the West in the U.S.
5. (usu. cap.) Occidental.
6. (usu. cap.) of or pertaining to the non-Communist countries of Europe and the Americas.
7. (cap.) of or pertaining to the Western Church.n.
8. (often cap.) a story, movie, or radio or television play about the U.S. West of the 19th century.
9. a person or thing from a western region or country.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
horse opera- A slang term for a western (movie).
See also related terms for movie.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||horse opera - a film about life in the western United States during the period of exploration and development|
feature film, feature - the principal (full-length) film in a program at a movie theater; "the feature tonight is `Casablanca'"
spaghetti Western - a low-budget Western movie produced by a European (especially an Italian) film company
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
horse operan (hum) → western m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995