Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A shelter or lodging for travelers, pilgrims, foundlings, or the destitute, especially one maintained by a monastic order.
2. A program that provides palliative care and attends to the emotional and spiritual needs of terminally ill patients at an inpatient facility or at the patient's home.
[French, from Old French, from Latin hospitium, hospitality, from hospes, hospit-, host; see ghos-ti- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl hospicespl hospitia (hɒˈspɪtɪə)
1. (Medicine) a nursing home that specializes in caring for the terminally ill
2. archaic Also called: hospitium a place of shelter for travellers, esp one kept by a monastic order
[C19: from French, from Latin hospitium hospitality, from hospes guest, host1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a house of shelter or rest for pilgrims, strangers, etc., esp. one kept by a religious order.
2. a health care facility, or a system of professional home visits and supervision, for supportive care of the terminally ill.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hospice - a lodging for travelers (especially one kept by a monastic order)|
|2.||hospice - a program of medical and emotional care for the terminally ill|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun nursing home, hospital, sanatorium, convalescent home the purpose-built hospice and respite care centre
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
hospice[ˈhɒspɪs] N → hospicio m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
hospice[ˈhɒspɪs] n → hospice m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
n. hospicio; asilo.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
hospiceV. hospice care bajo care.
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.