Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An environment conducive to vigorous growth or development, especially of something undesirable: a hotbed of intrigue.
2. A bed of soil that is covered with glass, fiberglass, or plastic, is heated with fermenting manure or by electricity, and is used for germinating seeds or protecting tender plants.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Botany) a glass-covered bed of soil, usually heated by fermenting material, used for propagating plants, forcing early vegetables, etc
2. a place offering ideal conditions for the growth of an idea, activity, etc, esp one considered bad: a hotbed of insurrection.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a boxlike glass structure covering a bed of earth that is heated by electric cables or fermenting manure, for growing plants out of season.
2. a place or environment favoring rapid growth or spread, esp. of something unwanted.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A heated bed of soil used for early planting of vegetables. Heating was usually from buried decaying animal waste.
1001 Words and Phrases You Never Knew You Didn’t Know by W.R. Runyan Copyright © 2011 by W.R. Runyan
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hotbed - a situation that is ideal for rapid development (especially of something bad); "it was a hotbed of vice"|
situation, state of affairs - the general state of things; the combination of circumstances at a given time; "the present international situation is dangerous"; "wondered how such a state of affairs had come about"; "eternal truths will be neither true nor eternal unless they have fresh meaning for every new social situation"- Franklin D.Roosevelt
|2.||hotbed - a bed of earth covered with glass and heated by rotting manure to promote the growth of plants|
bed - a plot of ground in which plants are growing; "the gardener planted a bed of roses"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
hotbed[ˈhɒtbed] N (fig) → semillero m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
hotbed[ˈhɒtbɛd] n → foyer m
a hotbed of sth → un foyer de qch
the university is a hotbed of political activity → l'université est un foyer d'activité politiquehot-blooded [ˌhɒtˈblʌdɪd] adj (= passionate) → passionné(e)hot chocolate n → chocolat m chaud
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
hotbed[ˈhɒtˌbɛd] n (fig) → focolaio
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995