Hottentot(redirected from hottentotly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to hottentotly: Hottentot apron
n. pl. Hottentot or Hot·ten·tots Offensive
1. A Khoikhoi person.
2. Any of the Khoisan languages of the Khoikhoi.
npl -tot or -tots
1. (Peoples) a former name for Khoikhoi1
2. (Languages) any of the languages of this people, belonging to the Khoisan family
[C17: from Afrikaans, of uncertain origin]
Usage: When referring to the people the accepted word nowadays is Khoikhoi. Hottentot is still used in some animal and plant names
n., pl. -khois, (esp. collectively) -khoi.
1. a member of any of a group of pastoral peoples, physically and linguistically akin to the San, who inhabited present-day Cape Province, South Africa, in the 17th century.
2. the Khoisan language or languages of the Khoikhoi, now principally represented by the speech of the Nama.