Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One of the 24 equal parts of a day.
a. One of the points on a timepiece marking off 12 or 24 successive intervals of 60 minutes, from midnight to noon and noon to midnight or from midnight to midnight.
b. The time of day indicated by a 12-hour clock.
c. hours The time of day determined on a 24-hour basis: 1730 hours is 5:30 pm.
3. A unit of measure of longitude or right ascension, equal to 15° or 1/24 of a great circle.
a. A customary or fixed time: the dinner hour.
b. hours A set or customary period of time for a specified activity: banking hours.
a. A particular time: their hour of need.
b. A significant time: Her hour had come.
c. The present time: the man of the hour.
a. The work that can be accomplished in an hour.
b. The distance that can be traveled in an hour.
a. A single session of a school day or class.
b. A credit hour.
8. hours Ecclesiastical The canonical hours.
A longer than usual or customary period of time for a given activity: worked long hours to finish the project on time.
[Middle English, from Old French houre, from Latin hōra, from Greek hōrā, season, time; see yēr- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) a period regularly or customarily appointed for work, business, etc
2. one's times of rising and going to bed (esp in the phrases keep regular, irregular, or late hours)
3. an indefinite period of time
4. (Ecclesiastical Terms)
a. the seven times of the day laid down for the recitation of the prayers of the divine office
b. the prayers recited at these times
5. the small hours the hours just after midnight
6. till all hours until very late
(Classical Myth & Legend) another word for the Horae
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hours - a period of time assigned for work; "they work long hours"|
work time - a time period when you are required to work
|2.||hours - an indefinite period of time; "they talked for hours"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.