Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Boston, Massachusetts. Used with the.
[After a scene in The Autocrat of the Breakfast-Table (1858), a dialogue collection by Oliver Wendell Holmes, in which a character summarizes the civic pride of Bostonians with the phrase Boston State-House is the Hub of the Solar System.]
1. The center part of a wheel, fan, or propeller.
2. A center of activity or interest; a focal point: Hollywood is the hub of the US movie industry.
[Probably alteration of hob.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) the central portion of a wheel, propeller, fan, etc, through which the axle passes
2. the focal point
3. (Computer Science) computing a device for connecting computers in a network
4. (Aeronautics) an airport, railway station, bus station, etc from which many services operate and connecting journeys can be made
5. (Transport) an airport, railway station, bus station, etc from which many services operate and connecting journeys can be made
[C17: probably variant of hob1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the central part of a wheel, as that part into which the spokes are inserted.
2. the central part or axle end from which blades or spokelike parts radiate on various devices, as on a fan.
3. a center around which other things revolve or from which they radiate.
4. the Hub, Boston, Mass. (used as a nickname).
[perhaps variant of hob1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
An organization that sorts and distributes inbound cargo from wholesale supply sources (airlifted, sealifted, and ground transportable) and/or from within the theater. See also hub and spoke distribution; spoke.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hub - the central part of a car wheel (or fan or propeller etc) through which the shaft or axle passes|
car wheel - a wheel that has a tire and rim and hubcap; used to propel the car
part, portion - something less than the whole of a human artifact; "the rear part of the house"; "glue the two parts together"
|2.||hub - a center of activity or interest or commerce or transportation; a focal point around which events revolve; "the playground is the hub of parental supervision"; "the airport is the economic hub of the area"|
center, middle, centre, eye, heart - an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun centre, heart, focus, core, middle, focal point, pivot, nerve centre The island's social hub is the Café Sport.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
1. A point of origin from which ideas or influences, for example, originate:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
مَرْكِز الدّولاب أو العَجَلَهمركِز الفعاليَّه أو العَمَل
iş/faaliyet merkezijanttekerlek göbeği
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
[wheel] → moyeu m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
1. the centre of a wheel. naaf مَرْكِز الدّولاب أو العَجَلَه главина centro náboj die Radnabe hjulnav κέντρο τροχού cubo rattarumm مرکز چرخ napa moyeuמרכז चक्रनाभि glavina kotaca kerékagy poros hjólnöf mozzo こしき 바퀴의 중심 stebulė (riteņa) rumba hab naafnav piasta د څرخ مرکز eixo butuc ступица, втулка náboj pesto glavčina nav ดุมล้อ tekerlek göbeği, jant 輪轂 маточина پہیے وغیرہ کا محور trục bánh xe 轮毂
2. a centre of activity or business. spil, middelpunt مركِز الفعاليَّه أو العَمَل център centro centrum der Mittelpunkt hjerte; centrum κέντρο δραστηριότητας centro, eje keskus مركز فعاليت keskus centreמרכז केन्द्र centar interesa, posla középpont pusat kegiatan miðdepill, miðstöð fulcro, centro 中心 활동의 중심 centras (darbības, uzmanības) centrs pusat brand-, middelpuntmidtpunkt, sentrumośrodek د فعالیت مرکز centro centru (de activitate) центр деятельности centrum središče dejavnosti centar centrum, medelpunkt จุดศูนย์กลาง iş/faaliyet merkezi 中心 центр уваги عمل یا کارروائی کا مرکز trung tâm 中心
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.