Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to hurdy-gurdy: Vielle a roue
n. pl. hur·dy-gur·dies
1. A stringed instrument played by turning a rosined wheel with a crank and depressing keys connected to tangents on the strings.
2. An instrument, such as a barrel organ, played by turning a crank.
n, pl -dies
1. (Instruments) any mechanical musical instrument, such as a barrel organ
2. (Instruments) a medieval instrument shaped like a viol in which a rosined wheel rotated by a handle sounds the strings
[C18: rhyming compound, probably of imitative origin]
hur•dy-gur•dy(ˈhɜr diˈgɜr di, -ˌgɜr-)
n., pl. -gur•dies.
1. a barrel organ or similar musical instrument played by turning a crank.
2. a lute- or guitar-shaped stringed musical instrument sounded by the revolution against the strings of a rosined wheel turned by a crank.
[1740–50; variant of Scots hirdy-girdy uproar]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hurdy-gurdy - a musical instrument that makes music by rotation of a cylinder studded with pegs|
musical instrument, instrument - any of various devices or contrivances that can be used to produce musical tones or sounds
music - an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner