Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
pl.n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
a. A place where political campaign speeches are made: a candidate out on the hustings in the farm belt.
b. The activities involved in political campaigning: a veteran of the hustings.
2. Chiefly British A court formerly held in some English cities and still held infrequently in London.
3. Chiefly British
a. A platform on which candidates for Parliament formerly stood to address the electors.
b. The proceedings of a parliamentary election.
[From Middle English husting, court of common pleas, from Old English hūsting, court, from Old Norse hūsthing : hūs, house + thing, assembly.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n (functioning as plural or singular)
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) Brit (before 1872) the platform on which candidates were nominated for Parliament and from which they addressed the electors
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the proceedings at a parliamentary election
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) political campaigning
[C11: from Old Norse hūsthing, from hūs house + thing assembly]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n. (used with a sing. or pl. v.)
1. any place from which political campaign speeches are made.
2. (before 1872) the temporary platform on which candidates for the British Parliament stood when nominated and from which they addressed the electors.
3. the political campaign trail.
4. Also called hus′tings court`. a local court in certain parts of Virginia.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
hustings- Its early meaning of "platform" led to its sense of "any place from which campaign speeches are made" and "political campaigning."
See also related terms for platform.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Political campaigning, or a place where political speeches are made during an election.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hustings - the activities involved in political campaigning (especially speech making)|
campaigning, candidacy, candidature, electioneering, political campaign - the campaign of a candidate to be elected
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995