drinks(redirected from hydration status)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
v. drank (drăngk), drunk (drŭngk), drink·ing, drinks
1. To take into the mouth and swallow (a liquid).
2. To swallow the liquid contents of (a vessel): drank a cup of tea.
3. To take in or soak up; absorb: drank the fresh air; spongy earth that drank up the rain.
4. To take in eagerly through the senses or intellect: drank in the beauty of the day.
a. To give or make (a toast).
b. To toast (a person or an occasion, for example): We'll drink your health.
6. To bring to a specific state by drinking alcoholic beverages: drank our sorrows away.
1. To swallow liquid: drank noisily; drink from a goblet.
2. To drink alcoholic beverages: They only drink socially.
3. To salute a person or an occasion with a toast: We will drink to your continued success.
a. A liquid that is fit for drinking; a beverage.
b. An alcoholic beverage, such as a cocktail or beer.
2. An amount of liquid swallowed: took a long drink from the fountain.
3. Liquid for drinking: The host provided food and drink.
4. Excessive or habitual indulgence in alcoholic liquor.
5. Slang A body of water; the sea: The hatch cover slid off the boat and into the drink.
drink the Kool-Aid
To become an unquestioning advocate for a group, cause, or belief.
of or relating to alcoholic beverages