Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to hydrocephaly: meningitis, microcephaly, cretinism, spina bifida


 (hī′drō-sĕf′ə-ləs) also hy·dro·ceph·a·ly (-lē)
A usually congenital condition in which an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the cerebral ventricles causes enlargement of the skull and compression of the brain, destroying much of the neural tissue.

[New Latin, from Greek hudrokephalon : hudro-, hydro- + kephalē, head; see ghebh-el- in Indo-European roots.]

hy′dro·ce·phal′ic (-sə-făl′ĭk), hy′dro·ceph′a·loid′ (-loid′), hy′dro·ceph′a·lous (-ləs) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.hydrocephaly - an abnormal condition in which cerebrospinal fluid collects in the ventricles of the brain; in infants it can cause abnormally rapid growth of the head and bulging fontanelles and a small face; in adults the symptoms are primarily neurological
abnormalcy, abnormality - an abnormal physical condition resulting from defective genes or developmental deficiencies
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
References in periodicals archive ?
A total of 14 congenital malformations were reported through SINAVE: suspected microcephaly (n = 9), anencephaly (n = 1), hydrocephaly (n = 1), palate fissure (n = 1), "small heart" (n = 1), and other or unspecified (n = 1).
Many malformations have been reported in association with triploidy including hydrocephaly and syndictyly, especially of the third and fourth fingers, low set ears, cleft lip/palate, clubfeet which are present in about two third of the triploid fetuses in addition to the remarkable IUGR, which does not affect the head as severely as the body.
(8) Toxoplasmosis is associated with fetal abnormalities like hydrocephaly, anomalies of the central nervous system, symmetric fetal growth retardation, and nonimmune hydrops.
[14,83] D and X can be particularly salutary when severe malformation necessitates LTOP, such as in cases of hydrocephaly, an abnormality that can only be ascertained during the final stages of pregnancy.
The most common associated malformations were cardiac pathologies (4) and pectus carinatum (2) whereas there was also one from each subsequent pathology; Chilaiditi syndrome, thymoma, hydrocephaly, gastroesophageal reflux and corrected hiatal hernia.
At the last cUS, gestational age, extensive cystic periventricular leukomalacia (c-PVL), and moderate and severe hydrocephaly are significantly correlated with MDI (OR = 0.292, 60.220, and 170.375, P = 0.004, 0.003, and 0.000, respectively).
Besides microcephaly--the most visible manifestation of the syndrome--they may have, among others: brain calcifications, epilepsy, auditory and visual impairments, delays in psycho-motor development, dysphagia, hypertonia, ventriculomegaly and hydrocephaly. Although no one can say exactly how they will develop, many of these children will likely need specialized care for the rest of their lives.
1H), distorted axis (25.20%), hydrocephaly (9.43%), exencephaly (8.06%), kyphosis (8.32%) and hygroma (45.20%).
Approximately 95% of newborns die of heart failure and the remaining 5% die of hydrocephaly, subarachnoidal bleeding, or intraventricular bleeding.
Most commonly documented lesions were generally encephalomalacia, hydrocephaly and brain atrophy with a percent of 5.90 (13 cases), 5.45 (12 cases) and 4.55 (10 cases) respectively.