hypersensitive(redirected from hypersensitively)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to hypersensitively: hypersensitivity reactions
1. Highly or excessively sensitive.
2. Responding excessively to the stimulus of a foreign agent, such as an allergen.
hy′per·sen′si·tive·ness, hy′per·sen′si·tiv′i·ty n.
hy′per·sen′si·tize′ (-tīz′) v.
1. having unduly vulnerable feelings
2. (Pathology) abnormally sensitive to an allergen, a drug, or other agent
ˌhyperˈsensitiveness, ˌhyperˌsensiˈtivity n
hy•per•sen•si•tive(ˌhaɪ pərˈsɛn sɪ tɪv)
1. excessively sensitive: hypersensitive to criticism.
2. allergic to a substance to which most people do not normally react.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||hypersensitive - having an allergy or peculiar or excessive susceptibility (especially to a specific factor); "allergic children"; "hypersensitive to pollen"|
hypersensitised, hypersensitized, sensitised, sensitized, supersensitised, supersensitive, supersensitized, allergic
susceptible - (often followed by `of' or `to') yielding readily to or capable of; "susceptible to colds"; "susceptible of proof"
hypersensitive[ˈhaɪpəˈsensɪtɪv] ADJ → hipersensible
(= touchy) → hypersensible
hypersensitive[ˌhaɪpəˈsɛnsɪtɪv] adj (physically) → ipersensibile; (easily offended) (pej) → permaloso/a
a. hipersensible, hiperestísico-a.