hypotonic(redirected from hypoisotonic)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Having less than normal tone or tension, as of muscles or arteries.
2. Chemistry Having the lower osmotic pressure of two solutions.
hy′po·to·nic′i·ty (-tə-nĭs′ĭ-tē) n.
1. (Pathology) (of muscles) lacking normal tone or tension
hy•po•ton•ic(ˌhaɪ pəˈtɒn ɪk)
1. having less than the normal tone, as a muscle.
2. of or designating a solution of lower osmotic pressure than another.
hy`po•to•nic′i•ty (-toʊˈnɪs ɪ ti) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||hypotonic - (of living tissue) lacking normal tone or tension|
hypertonic - (of living tissue) in a state of abnormally high tension; "hypertonic muscle tissue"
|2.||hypotonic - (of a solution) having a lower osmotic pressure than a comparison solution|
hypertonic - (of a solution) having a higher osmotic pressure than a comparison solution