Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to hypothyroidism: hyperthyroidism, Levothyroxine
1. Insufficient production of thyroid hormones.
2. Insufficient functioning of the thyroid gland.
1. (Pathology) insufficient production of thyroid hormones by the thyroid gland
2. (Pathology) any disorder, such as cretinism or myxoedema, resulting from this
ˌhypoˈthyroid n, adj
hy•po•thy•roid•ism(ˌhaɪ pəˈθaɪ rɔɪˌdɪz əm)
1. deficient activity of the thyroid gland.
2. the condition produced by a deficiency of thyroid secretion, resulting in goiter, myxedema, and, in children, cretinism.
an abnormal thyroid condition marked by a low metabolic rate and loss of stamina. — hypothyroid, adj.See also: Disease and Illness
Undersecretion of thyroxine, resulting in a very low metabolic rate and sluggish activity, sometimes accompanied by obesity.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hypothyroidism - an underactive thyroid gland; a glandular disorder resulting from insufficient production of thyroid hormones|
adenosis, gland disease, glandular disease, glandular disorder - a disorder of the glands of the body
myxedema, myxoedema - hypothyroidism marked by dry skin and swellings around lips and nose as well as mental deterioration
cretinism - severe hypothyroidism resulting in physical and mental stunting