iambic(redirected from iambics)
Consisting of iambs or characterized by their predominance: iambic pentameter.
1. An iamb.
2. often iambics A verse, stanza, or poem written in iambs.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Poetry) of, relating to, consisting of, or using an iamb or iambs
2. (Poetry) (in Greek literature) denoting a type of satirical verse written in iambs
3. (Poetry) a metrical foot, line, or stanza of verse consisting of iambs
4. (Poetry) a type of ancient Greek satirical verse written in iambs
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. pertaining to, consisting of, or employing iambs.
2. of or designating Greek satirical poetry written in iambs.n.
a. an iamb.
b. Usu., iambics. a verse or poem consisting of iambs.
4. a satirical Greek poem in this meter.
[1565–75; < Latin < Greek]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A metrical foot of two syllables with the second accented.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
|Noun||1.||iambic - a verse line consisting of iambs|
|Adj.||1.||iambic - of or consisting of iambs; "iambic pentameter"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → yámbico
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007