Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A sturdy ship built for breaking a passage through icebound waters. Also called iceboat.
2. A protective pier or dock apron used as a buffer against floating ice.
a. Something done or said to relax an unduly formal atmosphere or situation.
b. A beginning; a start.
1. (Nautical Terms) Also called: iceboat a vessel with a reinforced bow for breaking up the ice in bodies of water to keep channels open for navigation
2. (Tools) any tool or device for breaking ice into smaller pieces
3. something intended to relieve mutual shyness at a gathering of strangers
1. a ship specially built for breaking navigable passages through ice.
2. something that eases tension or relieves formality.
3. a tool for chopping ice into small pieces.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||icebreaker - a ship with a reinforced bow to break up ice and keep channels open for navigation|
ship - a vessel that carries passengers or freight
|2.||icebreaker - a beginning that relaxes a tense or formal atmosphere; "he told jokes as an icebreaker"|