imago(redirected from imagoes, imagines)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. i·ma·goes or i·ma·gi·nes (-gə-nēz′)
1. An insect in its sexually mature adult stage after metamorphosis.
2. Psychology An often idealized image of a person, usually a parent, formed in childhood and persisting unconsciously into adulthood.
i·ma′gi·nal (ĭ-măj′ə-nəl, -mā′jə-, -mä′gə-) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl imagoes or imagines (ɪˈmædʒəˌniːz)
1. (Zoology) an adult sexually mature insect produced after metamorphosis
2. (Psychoanalysis) psychoanal an idealized image of another person, usually a parent, acquired in childhood and carried in the unconscious in later life
[C18: New Latin, from Latin: likeness; see image]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
i•ma•go(ɪˈmeɪ goʊ, ɪˈmɑ-)
n., pl. -goes, -gi•nes (-gəˌniz)
1. an adult insect.
2. Psychoanal. an idealized concept of a loved one, formed in childhood and retained unaltered in adult life.
[1790–1800; < New Latin, Latin imāgō image (the adult being perceived as the true exemplar of the species, as opposed to the larva “ghost” and pupa “doll”)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||imago - (psychoanalysis) an idealized image of someone (usually a parent) formed in childhood|
depth psychology, psychoanalysis, analysis - a set of techniques for exploring underlying motives and a method of treating various mental disorders; based on the theories of Sigmund Freud; "his physician recommended psychoanalysis"
|2.||imago - an adult insect produced after metamorphosis|
insect - small air-breathing arthropod
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.