implode(redirected from implodes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
v. im·plod·ed, im·plod·ing, im·plodes
1. To collapse inward violently.
2. To undergo a catastrophic failure: His career imploded after he was caught lying on camera.
1. To cause to collapse inward violently.
2. To demolish (a building) by causing to collapse inward.
1. (General Physics) to collapse or cause to collapse inwards in a violent manner as a result of external pressure: the vacuum flask imploded.
2. (Phonetics & Phonology) (tr) to pronounce (a consonant) with or by implosion
[C19: from im- + (ex)plode]
v. -plod•ed, -plod•ing. v.i.
1. to burst inward (opposed to explode).v.t.
2. to pronounce (a consonant) with implosion.
Past participle: imploded
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||implode - burst inward; "The bottle imploded"|
cave in, collapse, fall in, give way, founder, give, break - break down, literally or metaphorically; "The wall collapsed"; "The business collapsed"; "The dam broke"; "The roof collapsed"; "The wall gave in"; "The roof finally gave under the weight of the ice"