Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to implosion: implosion therapy
1. A violent collapse inward, as of a highly evacuated glass vessel.
2. Violent compression.
3. The inward collapse of a building that is being demolished in a controlled fashion by the weakening and breaking of structural members by explosives.
4. A catastrophic failure: the economy's implosion during the credit crisis.
5. Linguistics The pronunciation of a stop consonant with the breath drawn in.
1. (General Physics) the act or process of imploding: the implosion of a light bulb.
2. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics the suction or inhalation of breath employed in the pronunciation of an ingressive consonant
1. the act of imploding; a bursting inward.
2. the ingressive release of a suction stop. Compare plosion.
im•plo′sive (-sɪv) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||implosion - a sudden inward collapse; "the implosion of a light bulb"|
collapse - a natural event caused by something suddenly falling down or caving in; "the roof is in danger of collapse"; "the collapse of the old star under its own gravity"
gravitational collapse - the implosion of a star resulting from its own gravity; the result is a smaller and denser celestial object
|2.||implosion - the initial occluded phase of a stop consonant|