Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to imported: Imported beer
tr.v. im·port·ed, im·port·ing, im·ports
1. To bring or carry in from an outside source, especially to bring in (goods or materials) from a foreign country for trade or sale.
2. Computers To receive (data) into one program from another.
a. To carry or hold the meaning of; signify: had trouble understanding what the strange word imported.
b. To express or make known: the news imported by their letter.
c. To betoken or indicate: a high inflation rate importing hard times for the consumer.
1. Something imported: levied a tax on imports from overseas.
2. The act or occupation of importing goods or materials.
3. Meaning; signification: The import of his statement is ambiguous.
4. Importance; significance: a legal decision of far-reaching import. See Synonyms at importance.
[Middle English importen, to convey a meaning, from Medieval Latin importāre and from Old French importer, to cause, both from Latin importāre, to carry in, cause : in-, in; see in-2 + portāre, to carry; see per- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(of goods, products, etc) brought in from another country in order to be sold
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||imported - used of especially merchandise brought from a foreign source; "imported wines"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
imported[ɪmˈpɔːrtɪd] adj → importé(e), d'importation
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
imported[ɪmˈpɔːtɪd] adj → importato/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995