impregnable(redirected from impregnableness)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. Impossible to capture or enter by force: an impregnable fortress.
2. Difficult or impossible to attack, challenge, or refute with success: an impregnable argument.
[Middle English imprenable, from Old French : in-, not (from Latin in-; see in-1) + prenable, pregnauble, pregnable; see pregnable.]
Capable of being impregnated.
1. unable to be broken into or taken by force: an impregnable castle.
2. unable to be shaken or overcome: impregnable self-confidence.
3. incapable of being refuted: an impregnable argument.
[C15 imprenable, from Old French, from im- (not) + prenable able to be taken, from prendre to take]
imˌpregnaˈbility, imˈpregnableness n
able to be impregnated; fertile
im•preg•na•ble(ɪmˈprɛg nə bəl)
1. strong enough to resist or withstand attack; unconquerable: an impregnable fort.
2. irrefutable; unassailable.
[1400–50; late Middle English impregnable, imprenable < Middle French, =im- im-2 + prenable pregnable]
im•preg`na•bil′i•ty, im•preg′na•ble•ness, n.
syn: See invincible.
impregnable- Means "incapable of being taken by force" (from French prendre, "seize").
See also related terms for incapable.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||impregnable - immune to attack; incapable of being tampered with; "an impregnable fortress"; "fortifications that made the frontier inviolable"; "a secure telephone connection"|
invulnerable - immune to attack; impregnable; "gunners raked the beach from invulnerable positions on the cliffs"
|2.||impregnable - capable of conceiving|
fertile - capable of reproducing
|3.||impregnable - incapable of being overcome, challenged or refuted; "an impregnable argument"; "impregnable self-confidence"|
unconquerable - not capable of being conquered or vanquished or overcome; "a tribute to his courage...and his unconquerable will"- R.E.Danielson; "faced unconquerable difficulties"