Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An artist, composer, or writer who practices or upholds the theories of impressionism.
2. An entertainer who does impressions.
Of, relating to, or practicing impressionism, especially in painting; impressionistic.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Art Movements) (usually capital) any of the French painters of the late 19th century who were exponents of impressionism
2. (Art Movements) (sometimes capital) any artist, composer, or writer who uses impressionism
3. an entertainer who impersonates famous people
(Art Movements) (often capital) denoting, of, or relating to impressionism or the exponents of this style
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
im•pres•sion•ist(ɪmˈprɛʃ ə nɪst)
1. a painter, composer, or writer practicing impressionism.
2. an entertainer who does impressions.adj.
3. of or pertaining to artistic impressionism.
[1875–80; < French]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||impressionist - a painter who follows the theories of Impressionism|
painter - an artist who paints
|Adj.||1.||impressionist - relating to or characteristic of Impressionism; "impressionist music"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → impresionista
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → impressionniste mf
adj [painting] → impressionniste
impressionist[ɪmˈprɛʃənɪst] n (= entertainer) → imitateur/trice m/f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Impressionist(in) m(f)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
impressionist[ɪmˈprɛʃənɪst] adj & n (Art) → impressionista (m/f); (mimic) → imitatore/trice
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995