Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
adj. im·pur·er, im·pur·est
1. Not pure or clean; contaminated.
2. Not purified by religious rite; unclean.
3. Immoral or sinful: impure thoughts.
4. Mixed with another, usually inferior substance; adulterated.
5. Being a composite of more than one color or mixed with black or white.
6. Deriving from more than one source, style, or convention; eclectic: an impure art form.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.