cholinergic(redirected from in myasthenia gravis cholinergic crisis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to in myasthenia gravis cholinergic crisis: Myasthenic crisis
1. Activated by or capable of liberating acetylcholine, especially in the parasympathetic nervous system.
2. Having physiological effects similar to those of acetylcholine: a cholinergic agent or drug.
[(acetyl)cholin(e) + -ergic.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Physiology) denoting nerve fibres that release acetylcholine when stimulated
2. (Physiology) of or relating to the type of chemical activity associated with acetylcholine and similar substances
[C20: from (acetyl)cholin(e) + Greek ergon work]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
cho•lin•er•gic(ˌkoʊ ləˈnɜr dʒɪk, ˌkɒl ə-)
1. resembling acetylcholine in physiological effect: a cholinergic drug.
2. releasing acetylcholine: a cholinergic neuron.
3. activated by acetylcholine: a cholinergic receptor.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||cholinergic - releasing or activated by acetylcholine or a related compound|
anticholinergic - inhibiting or blocking the action of acetylcholine at a receptor site; "anticholinergic drugs"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.