Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. Within the limits, bounds, or area of: was hit in the face; born in the spring; a chair in the garden.
b. From the outside to a point within; into: threw the letter in the wastebasket.
2. To or at a situation or condition of: was split in two; in debt; a woman in love.
a. Having the activity, occupation, or function of: a life in politics; the officer in command.
b. During the act or process of: tripped in racing for the bus.
a. With the arrangement or order of: fabric that fell in luxuriant folds; arranged to purchase the car in equal payments.
b. After the style or form of: a poem in iambic pentameter.
5. With the characteristic, attribute, or property of: a tall man in an overcoat.
a. By means of: paid in cash.
b. Made with or through the medium of: a statue in bronze; a note written in German.
7. With the aim or purpose of: followed in pursuit.
8. With reference to: six inches in depth; has faith in your judgment.
9. Used to indicate the second and larger term of a ratio or proportion: saved only one in ten.
1. To or toward the inside: opened the door and stepped in.
2. To or toward a destination or goal: The mob closed in.
3. Sports So as to score, as by crossing home plate in baseball: singled the runner in.
4. Within a place, as of business or residence: The manager is in before anyone else.
5. So as to be available or under one's control: We can proceed when all the evidence is in.
6. So as to include or incorporate: Fold in the egg whites.
7. So as to occupy a position of success or favor: campaigned hard and was voted in.
8. In a particular relationship: got in bad with their supervisor.
1. Located inside; inner.
2. Incoming; inward: took the in bus.
3. Holding office; having power: the in party.
a. Currently fashionable: the in thing to wear this season.
b. Concerned with or attuned to the latest fashions: the in crowd. See Synonyms at fashionable.
5. Relating to, understandable to, or coming from an exclusive group: an in reference.
1. One that has position, influence, or power: the ins against the outs.
2. Informal Influence; power: had an in with the authorities.
Guaranteed to get or have: You're in for a big surprise.
Informed about; participating in: Only one business partner was not in on the illegal scheme.
For the reason that.
in 2or in.
The symbol for indium.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adv.||1.||in on - participating in or knowledgeable out; "was in on the scheme"|
gjøre kjent medmed på