zone(redirected from in the zone)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A. North Frigid Zone
B. North Temperate Zone
C. Torrid Zone
D. South Temperate Zone
E. South Frigid Zone
a. An area or a region distinguished from adjacent parts by a distinctive feature or characteristic.
b. A section of an area or territory established for a specific purpose, as a section of a city restricted to a particular type of building, enterprise, or activity: a residential zone.
c. An area of a given radius within which a uniform rate is charged, as for transportation or shipping.
a. Any of the five regions of the surface of the earth that are loosely divided according to prevailing climate and latitude, including the tropics, the North and South Temperate Zones, and the North and South Polar Regions.
b. A similar division on any other planet.
c. Mathematics A portion of a sphere bounded by the intersections of two parallel planes with the sphere.
3. Ecology An area characterized by distinct physical conditions and supporting a particular type of flora and fauna.
4. Anatomy A ringlike or cylindrical growth or structure.
5. Geology A region or stratum distinguished by composition or content.
6. Sports A zone defense.
7. Archaic A belt or girdle.
tr.v. zoned, zon·ing, zonesPhrasal Verbs:
1. To divide or designate into zones.
2. To surround or encircle.
To focus or concentrate on something.
zone out InformalIdiom:
To lose concentration or become inattentive.
in the zone
Informal In a state of focused attention or energy so that one's performance is enhanced: a goalie who was in the zone throughout the playoffs.
[Middle English, one of the encircling regions of the earth, from Latin zōna, girdle, celestial zone, from Greek zōnē.]
zon′al (zō′nəl) adj.
1. a region, area, or section characterized by some distinctive feature or quality
2. a sphere of thought, disagreement, argument, etc
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) an area subject to a particular political, military, or government function, use, or jurisdiction: a demilitarized zone.
4. (Physical Geography) (often capital) geography one of the divisions of the earth's surface, esp divided into latitudinal belts according to temperature. See Torrid Zone, Frigid Zone, Temperate Zone
5. (Geological Science) geology a distinctive layer or region of rock, characterized by particular fossils (zone fossils), metamorphism, structural deformity, etc
6. (Environmental Science) ecology an area, esp a belt of land, having a particular flora and fauna determined by the prevailing environmental conditions
7. (Mathematics) maths a portion of a sphere between two parallel planes intersecting the sphere
8. (General Sporting Terms) sport
a. a mental state that enables a competitor to perform to the best of his or her ability: Hingis is in the zone at the moment.
b. (modifier) of or relating to competitive performance that depends on the mood or state of mind of the participant: a zone player.
9. archaic or literary a girdle or belt
10. (Automotive Engineering) NZ a section on a transport route; fare stage
11. (Education) NZ a catchment area for pupils for a specific school
12. in the zone See zone8
13. to divide into zones, as for different use, jurisdiction, activities, etc
14. to designate as a zone
15. to mark with or divide into zones
16. (Education) NZ to establish (an area) as a zone for a specific school
[C15: from Latin zōna girdle, climatic zone, from Greek zōnē]
art at zoom(zoʊn)
n., v. zoned, zon•ing. n.
1. an area that differs in some respect, or is distinguished for some purpose, from adjoining areas, or within which distinctive circumstances exist or are established.
2. any of five great divisions of the earth's surface, bounded by lines parallel to the equator and named according to the prevailing temperature.
3. an area characterized by a particular set of organisms whose presence is determined by environmental conditions, as an altitudinal belt on a mountain.
4. a specific district, area, etc., within which a uniform charge is made for transportation or other service.
5. an area or district in a city or town under special restrictions as to the type of buildings that may be erected.
6. time zone.
7. any of the numbered districts into which a U.S. city or metropolitan area was formerly divided for expediting mail delivery.
8. a particular portion of a football field or other playing area: defensive zone.
9. Archaic. a girdle or belt; cincture.v.t.
10. to divide into zones.
11. to divide (a city or town) into zones in order to enforce building restrictions.
12. to mark with zones or bands.
13. to encircle or surround with a zone.v.i.
14. to be formed into zones.
15. zone out, Slang. to become inattentive or dazed.
[1490–1500; < Latin zōna belt, girdle < Greek zṓnē]
Past participle: zoned
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||zone - a locally circumscribed place characterized by some distinctive features|
island - a zone or area resembling an island
|2.||zone - any of the regions of the surface of the Earth loosely divided according to latitude or longitude|
climatic zone - any of the geographical zones loosely divided according to prevailing climate and latitude
geographic area, geographic region, geographical area, geographical region - a demarcated area of the Earth
time zone - any of the 24 regions of the globe (loosely divided by longitude) throughout which the same standard time is used
transit zone - a six million square mile area that includes the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico and the eastern Pacific Ocean; includes the principal routes used by drug smugglers
|3.||zone - an area or region distinguished from adjacent parts by a distinctive feature or characteristic|
region, part - the extended spatial location of something; "the farming regions of France"; "religions in all parts of the world"; "regions of outer space"
buffer zone, buffer - a neutral zone between two rival powers that is created in order to diminish the danger of conflict
danger zone - a dangerous area
demilitarized zone, DMZ - a zone from which military forces or operations or installations are prohibited; "tensions exist on both sides of the demilitarized zone separating North Korea and South Korea"
strike zone - (baseball) the area over home plate between a batter's knees and shoulders through which a pitch must pass in order to be called a strike
tidal zone - an area subject to tidal action
|4.||zone - (anatomy) any encircling or beltlike structure|
anatomical structure, bodily structure, body structure, complex body part, structure - a particular complex anatomical part of a living thing; "he has good bone structure"
zona pellucida - thick membrane around the mammalian ovum; can be penetrated by one sperm in the fertilization process; usually remains around the fertilized egg until it is implanted in the wall of the uterus
|Verb||1.||zone - regulate housing in; of certain areas of towns|
|2.||zone - separate or apportion into sections; "partition a room off"|
screen off, separate off - partition by means of a divider, such as a screen; "screen off this part of the room"
โซน แถบ เขต
n (Geog, fig) → Zone f; (US: = postal zone) → Post(zustell)bezirk m; no-parking zone → Parkverbot nt; time zone → Zeitzone f; zones of the body → Körperzonen pl; to be in the zone → in einer Sache völlig aufgehen; athlete → in Topform sein
1. an area or region, usually of a country, town etc, especially one marked off for a special purpose. a no-parking zone; a traffic-free zone. sone مِنْطَقَه зона zona zóna die Zone område; -område; zone; -zone ζώνη, περιοχήzona tsoon منطقه alue zone אֵיזוֹר मण्डल, क्षेत्र zona övezet zona svæði zona 地帯 지역 zona, rajonas zona; rajons; teritorija zon zoneområde, sonestrefa سيمه: ملاوستنى (كمر بند): جغرافيوي سيمه (لكه توده، معتدله او سړه): ناحيه، طبقه zona zonă зона zóna cona zona zon พื้นที่ bölge 地區 зона, район کوئی خطّہ جسے کسی خاص مقصد کے لۓ متعیّن کیا گیا ہو vùng; khu 地区
2. any of the five bands into which the earth's surface is divided according to temperature. The tropical zone is the area between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Tropic of Cancer. streek مِنْطَقَه пояс zona pásmo die Zone bælte κλιματική ζώνη της γης zona vöönd زون؛ کوست vyöhyke zone אֵיזוֹר אַקלִים पांच में से कोई एक पट्टी जिसमें धरती को तापमान के हिसाब से बांटा गया है pojas égöv zona loftslagsbelti zona ～帯 (한대·열대 등의) 대(帶) juosta josla zon gebiedbeltestrefa سيمه zona zonă зона; пояс pásmo pas zona zon, bälte แถบ; เขต iklim kuşağı 地帶 пояс درجئہ حرارت کی بنا پر تقسیم شدہ زمین کی پانچ پٹّیوں میں سے کوئی بھی ایک đới 地带
zone→ مِنْطَقَة zóna zone Zone ζώνη zona vyöhyke zone zona zona 地帯 지대 zone sone strefa zona зона zon โซน แถบ เขต bölge vùng 地带
n. zona, estructura anatómica en forma de banda;
comfort ___ → ___ de bienestar;
equivalence ___ → ___ de equivalencia;
gliding ___ → ___ de deslizamiento;
respiratory ___ → ___ respiratoria;
transition ___ → ___ de transición;
___ radiata → ___ radiada.