Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Within the limits, bounds, or area of: was hit in the face; born in the spring; a chair in the garden.
b. From the outside to a point within; into: threw the letter in the wastebasket.
2. To or at a situation or condition of: was split in two; in debt; a woman in love.
a. Having the activity, occupation, or function of: a life in politics; the officer in command.
b. During the act or process of: tripped in racing for the bus.
a. With the arrangement or order of: fabric that fell in luxuriant folds; arranged to purchase the car in equal payments.
b. After the style or form of: a poem in iambic pentameter.
5. With the characteristic, attribute, or property of: a tall man in an overcoat.
a. By means of: paid in cash.
b. Made with or through the medium of: a statue in bronze; a note written in German.
7. With the aim or purpose of: followed in pursuit.
8. With reference to: six inches in depth; has faith in your judgment.
9. Used to indicate the second and larger term of a ratio or proportion: saved only one in ten.
1. To or toward the inside: opened the door and stepped in.
2. To or toward a destination or goal: The mob closed in.
3. Sports So as to score, as by crossing home plate in baseball: singled the runner in.
4. Within a place, as of business or residence: The manager is in before anyone else.
5. So as to be available or under one's control: We can proceed when all the evidence is in.
6. So as to include or incorporate: Fold in the egg whites.
7. So as to occupy a position of success or favor: campaigned hard and was voted in.
8. In a particular relationship: got in bad with their supervisor.
1. Located inside; inner.
2. Incoming; inward: took the in bus.
3. Holding office; having power: the in party.
a. Currently fashionable: the in thing to wear this season.
b. Concerned with or attuned to the latest fashions: the in crowd. See Synonyms at fashionable.
5. Relating to, understandable to, or coming from an exclusive group: an in reference.
1. One that has position, influence, or power: the ins against the outs.
2. Informal Influence; power: had an in with the authorities.
Guaranteed to get or have: You're in for a big surprise.
Informed about; participating in: Only one business partner was not in on the illegal scheme.
For the reason that.
in 2or in.
The symbol for indium.
n. Abbr. in or in.
1. A unit of length in the US Customary and British Imperial systems, equal to 1/12 of a foot (2.54 centimeters). See Table at measurement.
2. A fall, as of rain or snow, sufficient to cover a surface to the depth of one inch.
3. A unit of atmospheric pressure that is equal to the pressure exerted by a one-inch column of mercury at the earth's surface at a temperature of 0°C.
4. A very small degree or amount: won't budge an inch.
intr. & tr.v. inched, inch·ing, inch·esIdioms:
To move or cause to move slowly or by small degrees: inching along through stalled traffic; inched the chair forward.
In every respect; entirely: "Ay, every inch a king!" (Shakespeare).
inch by inch
Very gradually or slowly.
within an inch of
Almost to the point of: came within an inch of death.
[Middle English, from Old English ynce, from Latin ūncia, one twelfth of a unit; see oi-no- in Indo-European roots.]
A small island.
[Middle English, from Scottish Gaelic innis, from Old Irish inis.]
Abbreviation of inch