incandescence(redirected from incandescency)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The emission of visible light by a hot object.
2. The light emitted by an incandescent object.
3. A high degree of emotion, intensity, or brilliance.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Physics) the emission of light by a body as a consequence of raising its temperature. Compare luminescence
2. (General Physics) the light produced by raising the temperature of a body
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
in•can•des•cence(ˌɪn kənˈdɛs əns)
1. the emission of visible light by a body, caused by its high temperature.
2. the light produced by such an emission.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The emission of light by a body which is strongly heated.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||incandescence - the phenomenon of light emission by a body as its temperature is raised|
|2.||incandescence - light from heat|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
incandescence[ˌɪnkænˈdesns] N → incandescencia f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
incandescence[ˌɪnkænˈdɛsns] n (frm) → incandescenza
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995