incommunicable(redirected from incommunicably)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Impossible to be transmitted; not communicable: an incommunicable disease.
2. Incommunicative: an executive who was maddeningly incommunicable.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. incapable of being communicated
2. an obsolete word for incommunicative
ˌincomˌmunicaˈbility, ˌincomˈmunicableness n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
in•com•mu•ni•ca•ble(ˌɪn kəˈmyu nɪ kə bəl)
1. incapable of being communicated or imparted: an incommunicable secret.
2. uncommunicative; taciturn.
[1560–70; < Late Latin]
in`com•mu`ni•ca•bil′i•ty, in`com•mu′ni•ca•ble•ness, n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
1. Not speaking freely or openly:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.