Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Not complete.
2. Football Not caught in bounds or intercepted: an incomplete forward pass.
A grade indicating that the requirements for an academic course or assignment have not been met.
in′com·plete′ness, in′com·ple′tion n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Incomplete and unfinished like an apple that has begun to shrink before it has reached maturity —Louis Bromfield
- Incomplete as the world on the fifth day of creation —Anon
- Incomplete like a pastrami sandwich without a pickle —Ed Mc Bain
- Incomplete … like a tree without leaves, a building without a foundation, or a shadow without the body that casts it (The knight-errant without a lady is like … ) —Miguel de Cervantes
- Unfinished [sentence] like a plaster half of an ancient sculptured torso —Penelope Gilliatt
Similes Dictionary, 1st Edition. © 1988 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||incompleteness - the state of being crude and incomplete and imperfect; "the study was criticized for incompleteness of data but it stimulated further research"; "the rawness of his diary made it unpublishable"|
integrity, unity, wholeness - an undivided or unbroken completeness or totality with nothing wanting; "the integrity of the nervous system is required for normal development"; "he took measures to insure the territorial unity of Croatia"
partialness - the state of being only a part; not total; incomplete
sketchiness - incompleteness of details
completeness - the state of being complete and entire; having everything that is needed
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
incompleteness[ˌɪnkəmˈpliːtnɪs] N → lo incompleto
because of the incompleteness of the reforms → a causa de lo incompleto de las reformas
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007