Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to incursion: Runway incursion
1. An aggressive entrance into foreign territory; a raid or invasion.
2. The act of entering another's territory or domain.
3. The act of entering or running into: homes damaged by the incursion of floodwater.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin incursiō, incursiōn-, from incursus, past participle of incurrere, to run upon; see incur.]
1. (Military) a sudden invasion, attack, or raid
2. the act of running or leaking into; penetration
[C15: from Latin incursiō onset, attack, from incurrere to run into; see incur]
in•cur•sion(ɪnˈkɜr ʒən, -ʃən)
1. a hostile entrance into or invasion of a place or territory; raid.
2. an inroad; penetration.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||incursion - the act of entering some territory or domain (often in large numbers); "the incursion of television into the American living room"|
|2.||incursion - an attack that penetrates into enemy territory|
attack, onrush, onset, onslaught - (military) an offensive against an enemy (using weapons); "the attack began at dawn"
interpenetration - the action of penetrating between or among
breakthrough - a penetration of a barrier such as an enemy's defense
invasion - the act of invading; the act of an army that invades for conquest or plunder
infiltration - a process in which individuals (or small groups) penetrate an area (especially the military penetration of enemy positions without detection)
|3.||incursion - the mistake of incurring liability or blame|